Dale Williams

Default 2000 Barolos, etc

Saturday afternoon I was in Scarsdale, and stopped by Zachys for some sale 2000
Bordeaux. While there, took advantage of a tasting of Neil Empsons Piedmont
portfolio. I actually was in a hurry, and tasted/spit pretty fast. Between that
and the difficulties of tasting barrel samples of big wines, read with even
more skepticism than normal.

2002 Einaudi €śVigna Tec€ť Dolcetto di Dogliani (16.99)
Dark fruit, moderate tannins, clean tasting. B

2001 Monti Barbera dAlba (31.44)
Ive never heard of this producer, but a nice smooth (though nicely acidic)
and spicy modern Barbera. B/B+ But $32?

2002 Conterno Fantino €śVignota€ť Barbera dAlba (21.24)
Earthy, but muted fruit.B/B-

2001 Bongiovanni €śFaletto€ť Rosso del Langhe (31.44)
Oaksoup, a blend of nebbiolo and barbera. C+

2001 Conterno Fantino Monpra (42.49)
Also oaky, but at least theres some offsetting acidity and fruit. B/B-

2001 Ca Rome Barbaresco (46.75)
Nice lighter Barbaresco, clean and elegant. B+

2001 Ca Rome €śMaria di Brun€ť Barbaresco (55.25)
Bigger, more apparent oak, but good fruit and long finish. B+

2000 Marcarini €śBrunate€ť Barolo (46.75)
Very good, ripe fruit, tobacco, and lots of tannins. B+/A-

2000 Marcarini €śLa Serra€ť Barolo (46.75)
Surprisingly, this seems bigger than the Brunate (not what I expect). Big
tannic wine, needs lots of time, but great fruit, violets, and tar underneath,
seems very good. A-

2000 Einaudi Barolo
Nice balanced medium-bodied Barolo. B/B+

2000 Einaudi €śCannubi€ť Barolo
More oaky/modern,.spicy, big. B+

2000 Bongiovanni Pernanno Barolo (59.50)
Modern at least as far as oak, but still has very hard tannins. B?

2000 Rome €śRapet€ť Barolo
Definitely modern, but really quite nice with ripe red fruit and flowery nose.
B+/A-

2000 Conterno Fantino €śSori Ginestra€ť Barolo
Closed, big. Not showing much.

2000 Monti €śBussia€ť Barolo (93.50)
Dense and monolithic. Modern but will probably age well. B+

2003 Marcarini Moscato dAsti (10.19)
Sweet and easy, just the thing to wash away the tannin buildup. B

The La Serra was the one I was tempted by. In general I've been able to get
Marcarinis for less than $40. Will that happen with these? Between WS hype and
exchange rate, maybe not. But I hold off and just get the Bdx I came for.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply