Tom S

Default Insanity of the wine industry

"Vincent Vega" > wrote in message
> The only problem is that anyone who has a beginners knowledge of

winemaking
> knows that acid additions are currently practiced by just about wine
> producing nation in the world,, even if they don't tell you.

True as far as it goes, but don't extrapolate that too far.

I had a conversation years ago with an Italian restaurateur (now deceased)
who insisted that in his native Italy wines were all made from the same
basic stuff and chemically treated to make them red or white, sweet or dry.
He made it sound more like chemical engineering than winemaking. I knew
enough about winemaking at the time to know that he was full of crap, but I
could tell that it would be a futile effort to try to talk him out of his
notions.

He proceeded to open a bottle of Banfi Brunello di Montalcino - the first
I'd ever tasted - and it was *wonderful*! (I didn't ask him if he thought
it was made in similar fashion to what he'd previously described.) He did
offer the opinion that the recent purchase of that estate by Banfi would be
bad news for ensuing vintages, because Banfi is Mafia connected. Yeah.
Right...

Tom S