Vincent Vega

Default Insanity of the wine industry

I just read the "Official Guide to Wine Snobbery"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...75134?v=glance

The book is a great read and reinforces my speculation about the wine
industry and wine snobs. I have come to the conclusion that most (90% and
above) wine snobs really don't know much about wine. These people simply
repeat what it is they heard other people say about wine.

Person "B" who knows little about wine could convince Person "A", who knows
nothing about wine, that he/she is a wine expert. Person "C", who has a
moderate knowledge of wine, could convince Person "B" that he/she is an
expert on wine. Person "B", would then mimic what Person "C" says about
wine and will pass this knowledge onto Person "A".

Meanwhile, Person "C" knows that no matter what he says about wine (within
reason), Persons "B" and "A" will eventually consider fact. With this type
of persuasion Person "C" is free to say or make up anything he/she wants.
Person "C" eventually gets a job as a wine judge or wine columnist while his
subjectiveness permeates the industry and "winemakers" shake their head in
confusion. The winemakers are left to face the fact that subjectiveness,
copycatting and creative writing will dictate the industry.

I never listen to wine TV shows and only read the wine spectator and such to
keep up on industry trends. But I was flicking the channels the other day
and I heard this wine connoisseur on the food network talking to a chef in
California when she made the comment that "the Sauvignon Blanc they were
drinking was clearly from the Northern Coast of California because it was
high in acidity" LOL ROFLMAO. Now I know someone watching that program is
going to repeat that, the next time they drink a white from Northern Cali.
And they will convince people that they know a lot about wines for making
such an observant statement. And that statement will get passed meanwhile
building the credentials of whoever repeats the line.

The only problem is that anyone who has a beginners knowledge of winemaking
knows that acid additions are currently practiced by just about wine
producing nation in the world,, even if they don't tell you. The fact that
a wine is high in acidity could not possibly indicate where it is from. A
few grams per liter tartaric/citric addition to an over ripened Napa valley
grape would produce the same effect. But who cares? All anyone is looking
for is a new witty comment to make in order to impress people who know as
little or less than themselves about wine.

The more I am force to understand the marketing of this industry, the more I
am convinced of its insanity. I think someday I will write a book that
exposes the foolishness and symantics of the wine industry.