Old 06-08-2010, 04:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Stormmee Stormmee is offline

Default Are we eating more meat than ever?

my grandfather used to hunt nightly for food and also pelts to sell, as a
kid growing up we often ate game meat at their house, my brother is same
now, he prefers wild rabbit, and squirrel and venison to almost everything,
he also fishes and that is mostly what is on the table if you visit him...
Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I am watching an interesting show on PBS about sustainable foods. This
woman is in Alaska and she eats a lot of wild game and salmon. She visited
an Alaskan vegetarian place and had dinner with them.

When she got back home, she said that we are now eating more meat than
ever. And if we were to trap or hunt all of our own meat like she did, we
would soon run out of animals to kill.

Of course we don't do this. Yes, some people do, but I think they are in
the minority. I don't know too many people around here who do that at
all. SIL said her dad used to kill deer right out in their yard in
Edmonds. Not too many deer left now and not sure it is even legal to kill
them now. We did see a deer on our street once. Angela thought it was a
giraffe. *Snicker* Okay she was much younger then.

Fishing is quite popular here though and clamming used to be. We've had a
lot of red tides so not sure that can be done any more. I used to do it
all the time as a child. I loved digging them up. But we never ate them.
Gave them to the neighbors. Also catching crabs is a big thing here. Not
sure about lobsters...whether we have them or not.

Anyway... Collecting old cookbooks is a hobby of mine. I also like
reading old books about diet and nutrition. Was looking at an interesting
one today about healthy eating. Until I realized it wasn't as old as it
looked. Was put out in 1981 and was low sodium and low fat. Ick. I put
it back.

But it seems to me in the past that they ate seasonally, mainly because
they had no choice. Yes, some wealthy people might have had imported
food, but most did not.

I think they ate meat mostly in the winter months when little else was
available. They would have things like potatoes, cabbages, carrots,
turnips and other root vegetables. But not much in the way of fresh
greens. Apples would probably keep through the winter, but most other
fruits would not unless they were canned or dried. And certainly they
dried and canned some vegetables.

But did they eat much meat in the spring and summer? I'm thinking not.
I've read stories of the farm life and often they had beans for lunch and
sometimes more beans for dinner. These were supplemented with fresh
vegetables from the garden as they became available.

Yes, chicken was eaten but often it was just for the Sunday supper,
perhaps with the leftovers being used in something like chicken and
dumplings or a pot pie.

I've also read stories about hog butchering so I know many families ate
pork products.

And I've read stories about people eating spring lamb.

Yes, I see recipes for beef and all sorts of wild game in the old
cookbooks. But just how often were these foods eaten? I wonder. I'm not
inferring anything one way or the other. Just curious.