Gorio Gorio is offline
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross@home View Post
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 15:57:57 +0000, Gorio
wrote:

'Cindy Hamilton[_2_ Wrote:
;1513568']On Aug 2, 5:52*pm, "Jean B." wrote:
-
I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
bit late in the year to start it. *Anyone?

--
Jean B.-

I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. Here in
Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
between late June and mid July. I must've got 50 heads of
garlic this year. I planted extra to give away, but I expect
my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. Last year's
crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
core in the middle by that point. Still better than store-bought
garlic.

Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
'The Garlic Store - certified organic garlic grown only in the U.S.A.'
(
The Garlic Store - certified organic garlic grown only in the U.S.A.)

This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. We
use fresh garlic almost every day.

Cindy Hamilton

I like to have at least two kinds of gralic in my pots. The Georgian
kind that is knock-your-socks-off hot and some other, weaker stuff, that
preserves well. I don't even remember what kind my "storage" garlic is.
The Gerogian stuff makes a memorable statement. Combined with good
tomato, cilantro and fresh lime juice, it makes the ultimate purist's
salsa, IMHO.

If you don't wish to braid what you have, preserve the peeled cloves in
some kind of oil. I've been using light sunflower oil since olive oil is
a bit pricey. I would like to try preserving a bunch in ghee next time
around, or maybe bacon fat or lard. Mmmm. If you didn't grow any, now
might be the perfect time to stock up and preserve. EZ beans.

Not really a good idea. I won't belabor the pont, just check
It's Your Health - Garlic-in-oil

Ross.
JEEZ! I just used some that's been in the fridge for a few months. I'm still alive, though. I think I'll still can some that I got from Mexi-mart. I think it'll go beyond a week. I'm a chancy guy. Botulism is no joke, though. Even if it doesn't kill you, you'll wish you were dead.