Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garlic shortage may be looming

On Aug 2, 5:52*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I gather it is easy enough to grow one's own--although it may be a
> bit late in the year to start it. *Anyone?
>
> --
> Jean B.

I don't know what your climate is like, but I grow garlic. Here in
Michigan, I plant the cloves in the fall, and harvest the heads
between late June and mid July. I must've got 50 heads of
garlic this year. I planted extra to give away, but I expect
my garlic will keep at least until Christmas. Last year's
crop endured until February, although it was getting a little
core in the middle by that point. Still better than store-bought
garlic.

Because I'm a little geeky (and I'm doing this to get good
garlic, not to save money), I buy my "seed" garlic at
http://www.thegarlicstore.com

This was my third or fourth harvest of garlic, and I'm getting
pretty good at achieving big heads with large cloves. We
use fresh garlic almost every day.

Cindy Hamilton