Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Garlic shortage may be looming

jmcquown wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I try not to buy anything from China. It's easy enough to grow your
>>> own garlic in pots on the patio.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> How big a pot does one need, Jill? I wonder if I can just bring it
>> inside for the winter.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I used a 12 inch round terra cotta pot. Garlic sprouts from the cloves.
> Ever see the green stems growing out of an old bulb of garlic? Some
> people think that's "old" and inedible. It's not inedible, but it *is*
> the clove trying to reproduce. Stick one or two of those cloves in a
> pot with potting soil and give it plenty of water with good drainage and
> access to sunlight. The plant will flower (cute). Then it will produce
> a bulb of garlic all on it's own. And yes, you can bring it inside.
>
> You can grow ginger root, too. That stuff is ridiculously priced.
>
> http://www.ehow.com/how_318_grow-ginger.html
>
> Jill

Oh, yes. I have read about garlic propagation and thought I would
try it. It sounds like the time might be now--what with a
possible shortage, and the fact that I don't want to buy garlic
from China. It also is sometimes hard to find bulbs with nice
firm cloves.

As for ginger, it would work better if I remembered to water it,
I'm sure. And one problem I have is that if I have indoor plants
the cats have to be protected from the ones that could make them
sick or kill them, and the plants also need to be protected from
marauding cats.

--
Jean B.