Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Your favorite Mexicanish foods

Julie Bove wrote:
> When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was very upset because Mexican
> food was my favorite. I loved to eat a bean burrito with a side of beans
> and rice. But that was no more! I quit eating it for a while, then I made
> some stuff at home. But I was afraid to eat at most restaurants because of
> all the temptations and carb laden food.
>
> There used to be a restaurant here that made a petite calorie salad. It was
> a large tossed salad with all kinds of veggies, topped with cold pinto
> beans. Loved that!
>
> Another place that is no longer there made what they called chile con queso.
> It was strips of pepper and onion, chopped tomato, with seasoned ground
> beef, mixed with plenty of cheese and melted in the oven. It was intended
> to be a dip. I scooped it onto my plate and ate it with a fork.
>
> I used to eat fajitas with a fork. I didn't eat the tortillas. But I
> haven't tried those in a while as I fear I can't digest the meat.
>
> Black bean soup. Love the stuff! And it doesn't spike me, provided I don't
> eat a huge bowl.
>
> At home, I use chunks of bell pepper or celery and maybe baby carrots as a
> dip for espinaca con queso, chile con queso, or bean dip.
>
> Instead of making enchiladas, I do enchilada casserole using plenty of meat,
> onions and peppers between the layers. That way I can use less tortillas.
>
> I also do bean tacos with tortillas or taco shells.
>
> And I make taco salads without the greasy fried shell.

We use Mission's low carb tortillas. Each small tortilla has a net carb
count of 5 grams. I use them to make chicken enchiladas (2 tortillas in
a serving) and I make my own enchilada sauce so I have a carb count on
that. No rice, no beans, though we do eat beans when there are no other
starches on the menu.

I have also made soft tacos using the Mission tortillas. The unopened
packages freeze well, too.

When we go out to a Tex Mex (which is the majority of restaurants down
here in Borderland) DH orders fajitas and doesn't eat the tortillas.
They have chicken fajitas as well as beef, so you might try the chicken
ones if you think you'll have problems with the beef.

He also asks them to hold the rice and beans and serve him a small salad
instead.

Hope this helps.

--
Janet Wilder