Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Germany considers tax on the obese.

In article
" > wrote:

> On Jul 25, 9:09*am, Dave Smith > wrote:

[snipped troll and crossposting]

> > How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> > Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get
> > exercise. It can cause a downward spiral. *They can't exercise because
> > of pain, they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> My mom has a problem with her feet. They hurt constantly, even when
> sitting down. But they get worse when walking. She is legally
> handicapped. She does not use a cart, but does use a cane sometimes.
> People just looking at her, especially early in the day, would not
> know that she has a problem. She is overweight, though not as heavy as
> many I see using the carts. I know she would feel better if she lost
> weight, but any exercise on her feet causes her really bad pain. It's
> a bad cycle where lack of exercise makes her heavier, which makes the
> pain worse. But how do you break the cycle?

My HMO (Kaiser) recommends something called chair dancing. It puts no
weight on the hips or knees, since it is done while sitting. I don't
know how it affects the feet, but there is no weight on them and the
exercise is all low impact. It is aerobic exercise. There are exercise
videos, with music and visual instructions. I did part of one as part
of a class I took at Kaiser. I did a Google on "chair dancing", but the
main site had a warning from Google about malware on the site. Amazon
seems to sell the videos, though:

http://www.amazon.com/Jodi-Stoloves-.../dp/B00062IWMA

--
Dan Abel