Posted to rec.food.cooking
JonquilJan JonquilJan is offline

Default Germany considers tax on the obese.

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> walt tonne wrote:

>>> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>>> supermarket.
>>> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>>>

>> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
>> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get exercise.
>> It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because of pain,
>> they gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

> (crossposting snipped)
>
> A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the
> grocery store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to
> stay off his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the
> way home from the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because
> the doctor told him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have
> looked at him and assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not
> everyone who needs those carts is old (or fat).
>
> Jill

I am old (71) and fat - and I use the motorized scooters in the grocery
store. The last time I tried walking around with a push cart at that store,
I ended up passed out on the floor. Although that broke up the day at the
store with some unexpected entertainment and visits by the EMTs, the
ambulance and the LEO's - they would really rather I didn't do it again. I
am also disabled and have been for 40 years due to surgery that left me with
lymphedema in one leg.

Jan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying