Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Pizza Dough

"piedmont" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>>> The many websites and pizza speciality forums I searched were
>>> fanatical. I mostly reviewed those that professed to have cracked the
>>> 'brooklyn' pizza dough secrets. Some giving recipes which required
>>> days to prepare, waiting for starter doughs to ferment and other
>>> obsure and complicated techniques.

(Lots of snippies going on)

>> Nothing wrong with those sites either. Some folks like to play in the
>> kitchen more than others.
>> Works well enough as the real magic is how you cook it and what you
>> add to the dough.

> Didn't want to start an insult war, what you say makes sense,

Grin, I've been bread making since the early 80's and worked the kitchen in
a pizza shop 1978-1983. Yup, even made dough.

> I had an
> ah ha moment with pizza dough after months of reading what seems like a
> lot of over kill from some that professed they had 'THE' way to make
> Brooklyn style pizza dough. When I, on a whim decided to use the Italian
> bread dough for pizza dough, and the first batch I made came out
> excellent, it was a moment of dang! this is easy and I had all these

The recipe at the Chanello's in Clemson SC was quite close to french bread.
They used a starter with it (been going for ages) but largely because it was
*cheaper*. I recall them having to re-start it when someone added the wrong
stuff and killed it and we used regular yeast in the dough for a week or so
until the new one got a good foundation and was enough in size to carry on
with regular use.

> others suggestions making it difficult. Of course to each their own,
> whatever keeps one sane, I understand that. Just can't stand what seems
> to be a mass of arm chair experts who get info off the net and try to
> come across as having first hand knowledge. I do not believe that is the
> case here on RFC, one or two but not a majority. The help that I've
> obtained here has mostly been valuable and to the point.

Some folks in usenet feel it's more important to 'look like the expert' than
help. BTW, if you want a friendly group of breadmakers, check out
alt.bread.recipes. We do all types and span from totally hand made artisan
with high hydrations, to ABM 'load it in 3 mins and forget it' levels. Only
warning for there is expect some to top post and ignore it. (It's based on
some of us there who are using screen readers for the blind).