Posted to rec.food.cooking
JL[_3_] JL[_3_] is offline

Default Deal Alert

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:02:32 -0700, JL wrote:
>

> >sf wrote:

> bottle. Keep

> Gotta

> >>Mirin is not rice wine vinegar. It's more like sake... drinkable.
> >>http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/What_Is_Mirin
> >>

> >Thanks, i wasnt sure exactly what it was, just that it is used a lot on
> >various cooking show i watch. The local Smart & Finale carries a big
> >bottle but i think i will try to find a small bottle in Chinatown to try
> >befor i purchase one of the big bottles.

> i think it would be a mistake to think of it as 'sweet wine.' it has a
> pretty viscous consistency:
>
> History of Mirin:
> The use of mirin is said to have begun over 400 years ago. Although it was
> used for drinking in the beginning, it has been used for only cooking
> since
> it was made to be thicker and sweeter.
>

> i don't think drinking even a small glass would be appealing. it provides
> a nice glaze for broiled meats, and is used in making teriaki sauce.
>
> there's a little more dope he
>

> but the predominant taste is sweet, with a little alcohol note at the end,
> so it will be very different than a rice vinegar.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I became an accidental but complete convert to rice flour

Sooo...ill give the rice wine (mirrin) a try, i dont like the Chinese
rice wine, but i have heard so many good things about the mirrin that im
curious to try it. I often use Japanese sake instead of the Chinese
rice wine.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.