Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy[_2_] blake murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Deal Alert

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:37:33 +0000, Gorio wrote:

> cshenk;1506179 Wrote:
>> "JL" wrote
>> Gorio wrote:
>> --
>> At my local mega food store yesterday I saw they had Kikko rice wine
>> vinegar for 50 cents per bottle with a little coupon on the bottle.
>> Keep--
>> -
>> I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such
>> good
>> things about?-
>>
>> Related but not the same. Mirin is a wine. Rice wine vinegar is a
>> vinegar.
>> ;-)

> Mirin is the wine, this stuff would be the vinegar obtained from "rice
> wine gone bad" as any vinegar is. Easy as heck to make your own
> vinegars. My knowledge of Asian goodies is limited. I just use this
> stuff for Thai sweet chili sauce.
>
> Unfortunately, I've had a batch of wine go bad once; and I ended up with
> 5 gallons of vinegar. Great vinegar, though.
>
> Kikkoman is made in Walworth, WI; so I wouldn't use the stuff for much
> beyond what I use it for. 50 centavos a bottle is the attraction, here.

kikkoman products are perfectly respectable (if expensive) in my opinion.
(i have come to prefer soy sauce from china, like pearl river bridge, but
that's a different style.) as far as i know, they use the same processes
and apply the same quality control as kikkoman in japan.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikkoman>

your pal,
blake