Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy[_2_] blake murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Deal Alert

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:02:32 -0700, JL wrote:

> sf wrote:

>>>I wonder if that is any relation to the Japanese "mirin" i hear such
>>>good things about?

>> Mirin is not rice wine vinegar. It's more like sake... drinkable.
>> http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/What_Is_Mirin
>>

> Thanks, i wasnt sure exactly what it was, just that it is used a lot on
> various cooking show i watch. The local Smart & Finale carries a big
> bottle but i think i will try to find a small bottle in Chinatown to try
> befor i purchase one of the big bottles.

i think it would be a mistake to think of it as 'sweet wine.' it has a
pretty viscous consistency:

History of Mirin:
The use of mirin is said to have begun over 400 years ago. Although it was
used for drinking in the beginning, it has been used for only cooking since
it was made to be thicker and sweeter.

<http://japanesefood.about.com/od/saucecondiment/p/mirinprofile.htm>

i don't think drinking even a small glass would be appealing. it provides
a nice glaze for broiled meats, and is used in making teriaki sauce.

there's a little more dope he

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirin>

but the predominant taste is sweet, with a little alcohol note at the end,
so it will be very different than a rice vinegar.

your pal,
blake