Posted to rec.food.cooking
piedmont piedmont is offline

Default Pizza Dough

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "piedmont" wrote
>> ImStillMags wrote in

>>> I think it's great that you have found a methodology that works for
>>> you.. Other people have methodologies that
>>> work for them. I figure it's all good. :-)

>> Your correct, pizza dough can be like bbq and what you grew up eating
>> is what you may well like. My sister swears by bisquick dough for
>> pizza, bless
>> her heart.

> Hehe true! She likes that taste and that is that.
>
>> The many websites and pizza speciality forums I searched were
>> fanatical. I mostly reviewed those that professed to have cracked the
>> 'brooklyn' pizza dough secrets. Some giving recipes which required
>> days to prepare, waiting for starter doughs to ferment and other
>> obsure and complicated techniques.

> Nothing wrong with those sites either. Some folks like to play in the
> kitchen more than others. There actually is a taste difference in a
> long fermented bread but this doesnt mean a regular sort is 'bad' or
> 'unacceptable'.
>
> A person who bakes a good bit, may not consider that time for a
> starter mix to ferment as even part of it all as they have it going
> all the time. It only becomes notable for them, when they have to
> describe it as something they added to the bread at the time when they
> make it. Take it like this. They may have a starter on the counter
> all the time and while the coffee is brewing, they add a little
> something or remove a bit if thats's what it needs. They don't think
> of this as part of the bread process when that evening they dip out
> the cup or whatever they need, to make some bread.
>
> Conversely, a person with that counter top starter, may not be able to
> wrap their head around a bread made without it. They *assume* all
> such breads made without it are 'poor' or 'bad'. This isnt true
> either although some types really are enhanced by those methods.
> Pizza dough isnt really one enhanced that much by a long ferment.
> ABM's actually do them quite well on a dough mode of 'pizza dough
> mode' if you have that.
>
> Works well enough as the real magic is how you cook it and what you
> add to the dough. I use lots of olive oil to an almost fougass (sp?)
> type.

Didn't want to start an insult war, what you say makes sense, I had an
ah ha moment with pizza dough after months of reading what seems like a
lot of over kill from some that professed they had 'THE' way to make
Brooklyn style pizza dough. When I, on a whim decided to use the Italian
bread dough for pizza dough, and the first batch I made came out
excellent, it was a moment of dang! this is easy and I had all these
others suggestions making it difficult. Of course to each their own,
whatever keeps one sane, I understand that. Just can't stand what seems
to be a mass of arm chair experts who get info off the net and try to
come across as having first hand knowledge. I do not believe that is the
case here on RFC, one or two but not a majority. The help that I've
obtained here has mostly been valuable and to the point.

--
regards,

piedmont (michael)

the practical bbq'r!; http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/