Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally[_2_] Kate Connally[_2_] is offline

Default I made the Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake last night (was rhubarb recipes

On 7/14/2010 1:12 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
> On 7/13/2010 3:36 PM, Roy wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 1:10 pm, Kate > wrote:
>>> I have a couple of new recipes to try.
>>>
>>> One is a Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake which is a crumb
>>> crust with the rhubarb strewn on top (mixed with flour
>>> and sugar and then some more of the crumbs sprinkled
>>> over that. Pretty simple and I don't see how it can
>>> go wrong.
>>>
>>> The other other is a Finnish Rhubarb Pie but it similar
>>> to a kuchen. A sweat yeast dough topped with the rhubarb
>>> and then with a custard of quark, cream, eggs, sugar.
>>>
>>> I'm really jonesing for some good rhubarb desserts.
>>>
>>> Kate
>>> --
>>> Kate Connally
>>> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
>>> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
>>> Until you bite their heads off.”
>>> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
>>>

>> ==
>> So where are these two wonderful recipes that we might try as well?
>> ==

> Well, I haven't tried them yet. I was going to wait until I made
> them to see if I liked them before posting. But I can post them
> now if you like. You'll have to do the conversions on the Finnish
> recipe. I haven't done them yet. This recipe seems very similar to
> a couple of kuchen recipes I have. Especially the plum kuchen that
> I made for the 2001 CT cook-in that Margaret likes so much.
>
> FINNISH RHUBARB PIE
> (Raparperipiirakka)
>
> Dough:
> 5 dl milk
> 2 dl sugar
> 50 g yeast
> 200 g butter
> ~1 kg flour
> 1 egg
> 1 t. salt
> 1 T. cardamom
>
> Filling:
> 5 dl sliced rhubarb
> 2 dl cream
> 2 dl quark
> 1 dl sugar
> 2 eggs
> 1 t. vanilla sugar
>
> Dissolve the yeast into lukewarm milk in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar,
> salt, cardamom, and egg and stir ingredients together. Add half of the
> flour and knead into a soft dough. Mix soft butter into the dough and
> add as much of the remaining flour as is needed. The dough is ready when
> it no longer sticks to the bowl or to your fingers. Cover the mixing
> bowl with a kitchen towel and prove in a warm place for approximately 30
> minutes. Pour the dough onto a floured baking board, knead, and roll out
> with a rolling pin into a thin sheet (slightly bigger than a baking
> tray). Place the sheet onto a baking tray covered with a greaseproof
> paper. Trim the edges. (From the extra dough you can form crosswise
> strips to decorate the top of the pie). Prove for 30 minutes. Place the
> rhubarb slices onto the sheet. Stir together the sour cream, quark,
> [...]

It turned out pretty good. I think I'll fiddle around with it a little
if I make it again. Hopefully next weekend I'll try the Finnish one.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”