Tom S

Default When to drink a 2000 Bordeaux

"Scott" > wrote in message
news
> Hi all,
>
> I'm fairly new to the area of wines and have a few questions regarding
> Bordeaux reds.
>
> I had read somewhere last year that 2000 could be one of the best years
> for Bordeaux reds. I hadn't given them much thought since I new they were
> fairly expensive and would require some time to age.
>
> One day while walking through Costco (massive general warehouse type store
> for those not in the United States), I was surprised to see that they has
> a small selection of 2000 Bordeaux available from 20 USD to 40 USD.
>
> I chose one bottle marked as "Carruades de Lafite" S.C. De Chateau Lafite
> Rothschild for about 25 USD.

I'll bet that's a nice one! Stylistically, it tends to resemble its big
brother (Chteau Lafite Rothschild) on a smaller scale - and that's not a
bad thing.

> So here's the main question: When is the best time to try one of these
> 2000 wines? I'd hate to open a $25 wine and be disappointed that I hadn't
> waited long enough for it to be enjoyable but at the same time I'm dying
> to try a good Bordeaux... Any insight on Bordeaux reds in general?

I just opened a bottle of the 2000 Chteau Coutet ($12 US). It is a very
approachable wine, even in its youth. That's the case with many wines in
that price range.

A wine like the Carruades de Lafite would definitely reward patient
cellaring, but certainly would be drinkable now - especially with extended
airing (breathing).

Tom S