Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally[_2_] Kate Connally[_2_] is offline

Default I finally made the "Rhubarb-Braised Chicken"

On 7/14/2010 8:24 AM, biig wrote:
> "Kate > wrote in message
>> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>>
>> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
>> but I was very disappointed. It doesn't taste bad,
>> but it doesn't taste that good either. And the rhubarb
>> is wasted in this dish. It really doesn't work for me.
>> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
>> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! Oh, well,
>> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
>> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. But
>> one can't waste food. Oh,well.
>>
>> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
>> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. She has a large
>> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. I got
>> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.
>>

> Kate, do you find a lot of liquid in the bowl when you thaw the rhubarb?
> Or do you use it while still frozen. I have a bag of frozen that I want to
> make a bread pudding or a cobbler with....thanks........Sharon in Canada

Hi Sharon,
I have experimented with this when making my yearly or twice
yearly Rhubarb Custard Cake. At first I thawed the rhubarb
completely and there was a lot of water in the bag. That made
the cake too soggy on the bottom if you included the water. If
not then the rhubarb lost flavor and texture.

I tried using it still frozen and that may work with some things but it
doesn't work for the Rhubarb Custard Cake. What happens is the rhubarb
doesn't sink to the bottom like it's supposed too.

So now I just let it thaw in the fridge over night. It's still
partially frozen but the water has not oozed out yet. That works
well for the RCC. I would think it would also be the best way to
use it in other recipes.

Kate

--
Kate Connally