Larry B

Default Is my Sauternes damaged??

Not only is it not a problem (fully edible but crunchy), "wine crystals" are
often an indication of intensity and extract.

With German wines, my experiences have always confirmed that their presence
fortells the drinking of a great wine. Sometimes (for reasons I cannot
explain) they will partially or entirely re-absorb back into the wine over
time.

LarryB

"Peter Taylor" > wrote in message
> Relax. These are Tartarate crystals and have no effect on the wine. If
> they persist, just decant the wine an hour before serving.
>
> Not a problem!
>
> Peter Taylor
>

> "LZYLTNING" > wrote in message
> > I was reorganizing my cellar the other day and came across three

> half-bottles
> > of 1997 Ch. Guiraud. I've had them since they were released and they've

> been
> > stored in an off-site location with temp. and humidity controls.
> >
> > Upon lifting and tilting one of the bottles I noticed a fair amount of

> what
> > appear to be sugar crystals floating in the wine. They resemble large

> dandruff
> > flakes and apparently had been shaken loose from the bottom of the

bottle.
> > quickly checked out the other two bottles and the same flakes were

> present. I
> > do not recall seeing this when I purchased them and none of my other

> Sauternes
> > has this problem.
> >
> > My questions are these?
> >
> > What are these things and why are they there?
> > Does this indicate damage of any kind?
> > How will this impact their age-worthiness and eventual drinkability, if

at