Posted to alt.food.barbecue
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Pork shoulder

In article >, tutall > wrote:
>On Jul 8, 9:06=A0am, (GregS) wrote:
>> In article wrote:

>> >You're trying to cook too slow. Crank up the heat. Try 270F or higher.
>> >Shoulders/butts should get done in 7 - 9 hours total. I'm talking about
>> >185F internal or higher. I wouldn't even think about trying to cook a
>> >shoulder at 200 - 220F.

>> That sounds more like it, but in all the reading I did, most say 225 abou=

>t 11 hours.
>
>Well, now you know better.
>

>> I can't do more than 225 with the Brinkman. of course I should
>> have not tried to cook 23 pounds of meat. I was more worried about
>> overheat. I should have stayed up all night !!

>The extra pounds did not make the cooking go longer. I often cook
>50-60 lbs at a time. Very little if any time difference from when I
>put on 10 lbs. The main driver is TEMP.
>
>I suggest you try some of the common Brinkman mods if you can't get it
>over 225F.
>

>> I'm glad I added a final coating of brown sugar. I like the pulled pork
>> with a little sweetnes.

>Yes, and the brown sugar helps make bark.
>
>Hey everyone, notice the snipping? Try it sometime.

I tried it. I always have to go back to Google archieves to see what they were
talking about.

Brinkman....
I played with the electric grill a day before. I was drilling holes in the thing, 1/2 inch,
total of 12 holes. I also proped up the container
with pins to get more air in. I proped up the top lid. With only the water pan it was
headed over 250 degrees no problem.

I wired up a variac last minite, a 1500 watt unit. So now I could turn down the heat
if needed. I closed up all the holes and openings I made.

greg