Posted to rec.food.cooking
David Harmon[_2_] David Harmon[_2_] is offline

Default Oh, Fudge!

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 12:36:37 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, Terry Pulliam
Burd > wrote,
> I had forgotten how *unbelievably* long it takes to squeeze the
>last 8 or 10 degrees out of the candy thermometer! The candy gets up
>to about 220°F within about 10 minutes, but I've been pacing around
>the kitchen eyeballing that damned thermometer for the last 15 and
>it's still not up to 234°F.

I bought a digital thermometer that beeps when the set temperature is
reached. It's great for roast beef, but I haven't made any candy.
My new years resolution was to replace all my slow inaccurate mechanical
thermometers.

I'm glad to see that you used a real fudge recipe, not some of the
crappy bogus so-called fudge recipes that are floating around.