Default Arroz con gandules?

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:01:10 -0500, Foxy Lady wrote:
>

> ><Snip>..
> >
> > Sandra

> Wow, the language spoken in in Puerto Rico must be quite different from the
> Canary Islands where I learned Spanish. Although I do believe that the
> Puerto Ricanos use the same term for bus as the Canarians "Guagua".

The same term is used in Cuba. It sometimes lends itself to confusion when
speaking to other latin nationalities. In Mexico, for example, a guagua is a
young girl. In Cuba to take a bus you say "coger la guagua" but unfortunately
coger in Mexico means to have sexual relations. I went to an all boys school
in Connecticut where there was a large group of mexicans and other latin
nationalities. One Saturday afternoon we wanted to go to a movie and I used
that expression. I got some real strange looks and a couple of warnings not to
say it aloud since I could get in trouble with Mr Herlihy, the disciplinarian.
They were very strict and allowed no contact with any town girls.

> It would seem that alot of the spices are either different or at least have
> different names. Please feel free to describe the food and certainly any
> interesting recipes, with appropriate translations of course.
>
> Do they eat Gofio in Puerto Rico? I know they do in Cuba. Gofio is of
> course indigenous to the Canaries.

My family comes from the Canaries on my mother's side. In fact there is a town
with my grandfather's name, Plasencia.