Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default Does one need to go to culinary school to become a professionalcook?

On 07/05/2010 05:40 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote
>>
>> Many people find that a career in cooking is not for them. The pay is
>> crappy, the benefits are often non-existent, the work is hard and the
>> hours are unbelievably long. Other people just love it. It looks like
>> you have the perfect opportunity to give it a try and see how it fits
>> you.
>>
>> If you find later that you need to take some classes, you could do that.
>> Maybe you won't need to. Or maybe you will decide that it isn't for you.

> I've heard it many times, "you should open a restaurant" Hell NO. I
> enjoy cooking, I'm pretty good at it from what others tell me, but I
> certainly don't want to own or work in a restaurant. Cooking would cease
> to be fun. I like weekends off. I like getting home from work about
> 4:30. I like being able to cook what I want and when I want, not on demand.

Yep. I was a caterer for a short time, and I HATED it. I cook well, but
I do it for people I love or at least like, and I decide what's going on
the table. And no one feels like they have to get their money's worth.
Works for me.

Serene