Posted to rec.food.cooking
junoexpress junoexpress is offline

Default Does one need to go to culinary school to become a professionalcook?

On Jul 4, 2:34*pm, Peter > wrote:

Good luck if you do decide to go through with this career change. I
won't repeat most of the (good) advice others have offered, except to
add a few comments which I hope you take in the constructive vein they
are intended.

Coking is an art, not a science, and most of what you learn (unlike
math) does not come from a book, but rather from a lot experience. If
you keep your eyes open, read, ask a lot of questions, and practice a
LOT, you'll learn a ton without having ever having to set one foot
inside a school. So, for this reason, you do not have to go to a
school to learn how to be a good cook. However, having said this, you
also have to be aware that when most people are doing this type of
apprentice-like learning they are working under someone. And for good
reason: there is a lot of basic knowledge you do have to have under
your belt to be able to actually run a kitchen. Some of it is basic
stuff, regarding food safety and health issues (like tempos for
storing/cooking certain types of meats and perishable food items,
etc), but then there are a lot of things that seem easy but aren't (if
you don't know what you're doing), such ordering food and beverages.
For this reason, I would strongly advise you NOT to start out trying
to be a cook if there is not someone you can work under. You could
kill someone or run the business into the ground, and probably also
ruin the start of what could have been a great experience.

The second thing I would add is that most people I know who went the
route you are considering were young when they started out. The long
hours, physical demands of the job, and dedication it takes are better
suited to a young unmarried person with lots of energy and not a lot
of other responsibilities. I don't know the details of your situation,
but this is something I think you would be wise to consider before
making this change.

Finally, I would kind of echo some of the other comments made in
regards to learning more about what the career is like before you get
too far in. Sometimes I think cooking is a bit like singing or stand-
up comedy: everybody thinks they can sing or are funny. A lot of
people enjoy cooking as a hobby and can even make a few dishes well,
but this is not what being a chef is about. Since you mentioned Gordon
Ramsey earlier, I'll tell you a funny story about a friend of mine who
watches one of his shows. He said, "Yeah, it's easy to be a cook. All
Gordon Ramsey does is come in, simplifies the menu down to a few
dishes, and then uses fresh ingredients. That's all you have to do!"
I've had friends in a situation similar to yours who are burned out in
their careers and think they would like to express their creative side
by being a chef. Nothing wrong with that, but after a day or two of
shadowing me, none of them have made the change, mostly because it is
not the life they saw on TV or had in their fantasy world.

Anyhow, best of luck, just be careful and make sure you understand
what you're getting into.

Cheers,
Matt