Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does one need to go to culinary school to become a professional cook?

"Dan Abel" > wrote

> Many people find that a career in cooking is not for them. The pay is
> crappy, the benefits are often non-existent, the work is hard and the
> hours are unbelievably long. Other people just love it. It looks like
> you have the perfect opportunity to give it a try and see how it fits
> you.
>
> If you find later that you need to take some classes, you could do that.
> Maybe you won't need to. Or maybe you will decide that it isn't for you.

I've heard it many times, "you should open a restaurant" Hell NO. I enjoy
cooking, I'm pretty good at it from what others tell me, but I certainly
don't want to own or work in a restaurant. Cooking would cease to be fun.
I like weekends off. I like getting home from work about 4:30. I like
being able to cook what I want and when I want, not on demand.