Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Does one need to go to culinary school to become a professional cook?

In article
Peter > wrote:

> My question is simply whether one has to go to "cooking school" to
> become a cook in a restaurant.

And I have a simple answer. No.

> I ask this question because I am
> considering making a career change. I am a middle age mathematician
> and I have the opportunity to cook at a small establishment a friend
> of mine is opening. I am a good cook, very passionate about food, and
> love to cook. He knows it, and is willing to put me on. Done the road
> though, I would like to perhaps move on and I am wondering if anyone
> will hire me without a proper degree? I don't have any pretensions of
> trying to become a great chef or of being at a fancy French
> restaurant: I mostly like to cook simple food well using fresh
> ingredients.

Many people find that a career in cooking is not for them. The pay is
crappy, the benefits are often non-existent, the work is hard and the
hours are unbelievably long. Other people just love it. It looks like
you have the perfect opportunity to give it a try and see how it fits
you.

If you find later that you need to take some classes, you could do that.
Maybe you won't need to. Or maybe you will decide that it isn't for you.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA