Posted to rec.food.cooking
A Moose In Love A Moose In Love is offline

Default Does one need to go to culinary school to become a professionalcook?

On Jul 4, 2:51*pm, "Mr. Bill" > wrote:
> On Jul 4, 2:46*pm, A Moose In Love > wrote:
>
> > On Jul 4, 2:34*pm, Peter > wrote:

> > > My question is simply whether one has to go to "cooking school" to

> > So go and cook. *Look at the menu, talk to him about what's expected
> > and do your thing. *Be prepared to bust

> All valid thoughts Moose...but you forgot to add you might need to be
> in the kitchen at 4AM on a regular basis...forget weekends/holiday/
> vacation.......your personal life will be out the window.

True. Much of the personal life comes from hanging around with other
cooks who work just as crazy hours. Also other trades/professions:
Nursing.
Also I had a job (machinist) where I worked 4:00AM to 4:00PM 5 days a
week. No weekends though. I think the guys on nights had it
rougher.