Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter[_24_] Peter[_24_] is offline

Default Does one need to go to culinary school to become a professional cook?

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the appropriate newsgroup to which I should
post, so please excuse me if it is not.

My question is simply whether one has to go to "cooking school" to
become a cook in a restaurant. I ask this question because I am
considering making a career change. I am a middle age mathematician
and I have the opportunity to cook at a small establishment a friend
of mine is opening. I am a good cook, very passionate about food, and
love to cook. He knows it, and is willing to put me on. Done the road
though, I would like to perhaps move on and I am wondering if anyone
will hire me without a proper degree? I don't have any pretensions of
trying to become a great chef or of being at a fancy French
restaurant: I mostly like to cook simple food well using fresh
ingredients.

TIA,
Peter