Dale Williams

Default [TN] '86 Cos d'Estournel

In article >, "Ian Glover"
> writes:

>Be gentle please! Its the first time I've exposed tasting notes to the
>real world.

No need to be gentle, nice clear notes- thanks!

>1986 Cos d'Estournel Colour was very dark though the rim was

just beginning to fade to a brickish redNose was quite dense and heavy
>with some oak coming through but no overt single fruit. Initial taste it
>seem very hot in the mouth, with firm but not overpowering tannins. Quite
>full and I struggled to pick out any single flavour. With tasted with the
>steak we were having it smoothed out and there was a hint of mint. Finish
>was reasonable but I didn't notice it as particularly long.
>
>It was an interesting wine to try and clearly has a long life ahead of it
>though in hindsight probably a bit dear at £86 (about $140 at the time of
>purchase, rather more with the current exchange rates).

I had it several months ago, these were my notes:
1986 Cos d'Estournel (St-Estèphe)-still a deep colored wine, the nose was a
delicious mix of cedar/cigarbox, earth, smoked meat, and dark fruits. Very good
red berry and plum fruit. Still somewhat tannic, but with a hunk of red meat
all one could want in a Bordeaux. Fruit, acidity, and tannins made a nice
package. Wow. A

Our impressions aren't that far off, and once one takes into account possible
storage differences , and the fact that my friend decanted bottle for about 7
hours before dinner...

thanks again! I hope you keep posting notes.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply