Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: cheap but good Brunello and Chablis GC

On 6/29/10 11:20 AM, DaleW wrote:
> Zachys has a rep for high prices, but when they have sales, there can
> be some pretty good prices. This week I picked up $5 Barberas, $15 GC
> Chablis, $15 '05 Volnay, $20 06 Barbaresco, etc. 2 got opened last
> night.

Yeah, I remember those sales being advertised in the NYT, but the trek
from Manhattan to Scarsdale sans auto always seemed too daunting to me
at the time. My bad: those are some scary-good prices.

> Some of the deals were case buys, and I split with friends. One came
> by for his allotment, so I offered a glass of the 2007 Domaine and
> Selection "Les Blanchots" Chablis Grand Cru. D&S is a negociant that
> seems to only exist as a private label for Zachys, sometimes winemaker
> listed, sometimes not- in this case she is, Clotilde Davenne. At $15
> my expectations are rather low, but in this case surpassed. Big pretty
> Chablis, floral nose with chalky edge, sweet apple and citrus fruit,
> nice length. This is not going to be mistaken for Raveneau and at $80
> I'd have balked, but this is my Burgundy deal of the year so far. B+

Wow, $15 for even a village-level Chablis is a great price. For GC,
it's absurdly good as long as the wine is competently made, especially
from a year like '07. I hope you got a lot of this, Dale.

Mark Lipton