Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Sassafras (Was: Gumbo file' &/or/vs. rootbeer)

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras
>
> It's a tree that grows across a lot of zones in the US. They are common
> enough that their leaves are used to make file' powder so they should be
> available at least through special order from ag supply places.

For some reason I tend to picture sassasfras trees mixed with sumac
trees at the edge of woods especially at the side of the road. The two
types don't look similar but they seem to like similar growing
conditions so they mix and compete in the same places.

I've had sumac as a mild spice in Armenian food. I wonder if it's the
same tree that I see on the roadside.