Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@verizon.net is offline

Default Doing 3LB Slab of Spareribs

On 19-Jun-2010, bbq > wrote:

> On 6/18/2010 6:53 PM, wrote:

> >> A full spare is typically around 5 lbs. Then trim off the chine bone is
> >> maybe what he is talking about. I have seen spares trimmed St Louis
> >> style. But they charge an extra buck a pound !!! Not gonna happen for
> >> me....
> >>
> >> BBQ

> > I'm not paying extra for St Louis cut either. I just chowed down on some
> > rib tips (Chine bone parts I guess) tonight and they were mighty fine. I
> > still have some actual ribs left, but I can't say they're better then
> > the
> > tips for
> > pure taste.
> >

> I have not qued Rib Tips. Though I should. I have used the Chine Bone,
> qued it up a bit, then added to a red sauce. Was a nice experiment.
> Would do it again to.
>
> For trimming spares, GOTTA have a GOOD knife. Maybe a good shears
> would work to. I used to use a never need sharpening knife. Was always
> a PIA to trim spares and make them look good to. But I still didn't pay
> the extra buck and buy them trimmed...
>
> BBQ

I cook only whole slabs of spareribs. I trim the flap meat on the back and
strip the membrane (sometimes) and that's it. I trim the chines after
cooking
and let the diners (usually just me and mine) choose their own portions.
It doesn't take much of a knife to trim spares after cooking.

I usually treat the flap meat like bacon or ham and serve it with eggs for
breakfast. (I treat the membrane like garbage and throw it in the can).
Usually, everything else gets eaten at the table. Sometimes, however,
some of the tips go into a pot of beans, but only after they have already
been cooked.

--
Brick said that.