Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default Doing 3LB Slab of Spareribs

On 6/18/2010 6:53 PM, wrote:
> On 18-Jun-2010, > wrote:

>>> I can't even buy a slab of ribs under 4.5lbs last couple of years.
>>>
>>> Here's what I'm smoking now.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> A full spare is typically around 5 lbs. Then trim off the chine bone is
>> maybe what he is talking about. I have seen spares trimmed St Louis
>> style. But they charge an extra buck a pound !!! Not gonna happen for
>> me....
>>
>> BBQ

> I'm not paying extra for St Louis cut either. I just chowed down on some
> rib tips (Chine bone parts I guess) tonight and they were mighty fine. I
> still have some actual ribs left, but I can't say they're better then the
> tips for
> pure taste.

I have not qued Rib Tips. Though I should. I have used the Chine Bone,
qued it up a bit, then added to a red sauce. Was a nice experiment.
Would do it again to.

For trimming spares, GOTTA have a GOOD knife. Maybe a good shears
would work to. I used to use a never need sharpening knife. Was always
a PIA to trim spares and make them look good to. But I still didn't pay
the extra buck and buy them trimmed...

BBQ