Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On 6/13/2010 10:49 AM, cshenk wrote:

>>> Yes. This is why HOA owned properties are having a hard time selling and
>>> many seeking to purchase now specify 'show me only those with no
>>> HOA'. My
>>> friend who is a relator, says it's about 1/2 in the area actually
>>> bother to
>>> say that. The rest, tend to default by 1/2 when the see the HOA rules.
>>>
>>> Logic shows HOA homes here do not get viewed as often and they are
>>> screaming
>>> because their 4BR 3Bath luxury homes are selling for less than mine
>>> would.
>>> HOA's arent bad, but too many have gone rampant and made horrible press.
>>> With all the forclosures, buyers are scared to do something stupid
>>> and lose
>>> their homes.

>>> None of those things should be HOA issues.

>> But they are... Did you read the link I posted?

> Yes, and replied to your message and it.
>
>> Bringing it back on topic, there are even some HOA's that forbid BBQ'ing!

>> HOA's have gotten wayyyy out of control in too many places, and seek to
>> utterly control everyone and treat you like tenants, not property owners.

> Not all are that bad though. It is however true that their reputation is
> so low now, even the sane ones are being avoided by buyers.
>
> Grin, my boss just upscaled houses. He specifically said 'no more HOA's'
> to the realtor. He got a lovely house in a very nice upscale
> neighborhood with no HOA. He had a very hard time selling his house. 2
> backed out last second over HOA issues. There's something like 100 homes
> in his old HOA area, with (per him) 20 in forclosure and another 5
> vacant. 3 sold (his was one of the 3).
>
> He BTW, had a sane HOA although he wasn't happy that he had to use
> Verizon FIOS and is much happier with Cox now (at significant savings
> for the package that suits them vice the HOA required Verizon one). The
> rest of it he said was fine.
>
> Another friend mentioned his HOA had several optional services you could
> elect to sign up for and based on how many were in it, the price would
> change a bit. He added the option to have them cut his grass and use a
> master keyed lock on the backyard fence so they could get in when he
> wasnt home. Hehehehe, city has a height of grass allowed and HOA says
> must be within or have grass services (in which case it's their fault if
> your grass gets too high). The only catch-22 there is you have to pay
> all year as they pro-rate the bill so you can't just 'pay in
> spring/summer'. Come fall/winter, the same fellow 'for free' trims
> trees, prunes what's needed, and helps get the leaves up and such.
> Seemed a good deal to him and to me! 20$ a week?

Does he travel? Local guy here gets $75 every two weeks to mow the lawn
next door. Our lots are 75' wide by 150' long and the houses are all
about 2000 square feet. Sounds like a rip off to me but the lady next
door is crippled and has a "Bless Your Heart" 47-year old son sponging
off of her and doesn't do anything.