Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default OT <--(sorry) Hearing at high frequencies

In article <hA4Qn.3235$D81.1327@hurricane>,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> > Cool. I probably have some hearing damage from an early age. Dad used
> > to take us rifle shooting on weekends in California and he was not in to
> > hearing protection. He's having a lot of hearing issues lately. I use
> > hearing protection routinely now when I go to the range.

> I think a lot of us are guilty of thinking that our bodies and parts
> thereof are indestructible when we're young(ish). I used to be laughed at
> by family and friends (25 years ago) when we went to the shooting
> range; if there was no proper hearing-protection available to beg, borrow
> or steal from the club "pros", I'd just stuff my ears with wads of cotton
> wool, which I always took with me. My aforementioned family/friends all
> said I was being a "wuss".

Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range office
for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam earplugs is
always issued by them. ;-)

> Heh, "wussy" or not - even though the cotton wool might not have been
> as effective as the "real thing" - at least I didn't have my ears
> ringing for hours after a session... and I wasn't shouting at the top of
> my voice like the rest of them (because they couldn't hear themselves
> speak at normal levels) when we went back to the club house for a
> BBQ/grill and a "toot" afterward either.
>
> And I can still hear pretty well - when it suits me ;-) - even tho' I'm
> no longer a young'un by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I'll bet that they are regretting it now!
--
Peace! Om