Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Wonderful Bounty

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:50:43 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> When I first planted my blueberry bushes they didn't do very well. My
> neighbour suggested digging some peat moss into the soil around them and
> using an acidic fertilizer. That did wonders.

I used to live in blueberry country... the ground is moist by nature
because of all the lakes in the area and there are lots of pine trees,
so it stands to reason that they needed peat and acid to thrive.

> Last weekend I picked up a couple black currant bushes. I have less than
> found memories of picking currants in my parent's garden, but I also
> remember how good my mother's black currant jam was.

Current bushes have thorns, if I remember correctly.

> It is hard to find black currants around here, and they are very
> expensive. A local berry farm had them and made all their pickers pick
> one pint of currants, which the pickers hated doing because it took so
> long to fill the basket and they got so little money for it.

If black does well, plant the red and white currents too. My
grandfather had all three colors in his garden and grandma made the
most wonderful pie mixing red and white together. If I remember
correctly, current bushes are huge, so you'll need plenty of room for
those suckers.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.