Posted to rec.food.cooking
Krypsis Krypsis is offline

Default OT <--(sorry) Hearing at high frequencies

On 10/06/2010 3:58 AM, Zeppo wrote:

> I have the same problem but I'm also having the opposite problem. I'm
> hearing a high pitched whine occasionally when it doesn't really exist.
> I'm seeing an ENT next week to determine the cause, but the suspects are
> the same (exposure to loud noise, overuse of antibiotics, ancient ears,
> etc).

You will be diagnosed as having tinnitus with associated high frequency
loss.

> However, my kids complained bitterly because my A/V receiver had a high
> pitched whine that was present all the time, probably a bad capacitor in
> the power supply . I could only barely hear it at all when the receiver
> was on but the audio signal from the TV or tuner was off. And the kids
> swore they could hear it a lot clearer than I could.
>
> Jon

Exactly. You have effectively killed off the fine nerve endings in your
cochlea which gives you the high frequency loss. As well, the nerve
endings are, for want of a better term, generating spurious signals.

Do a Google on tinnitus and you'll learn more.

Here's a good start;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Krypsis