Posted to rec.food.cooking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT <--(sorry) Hearing at high frequencies

On 6/8/2010 10:34 PM, rhelsenborg wrote:
> On 6/8/2010 6:37 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>>> Cheryl wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you attended a lot of rock concerts?

>> Yes

> If your ears don't ring after wards and you can hear someone talking to
> you that is standing a few feet away from you after wards this should
> not be a problem. I have attended a concert (ted nugent) where I could
> not hear my friend standing next to me as we were leaving. My ears were
> still ringing the next day, and it took a few days after wards before I
> could hear normally.
>>
>> Do you play the radio loudly
>>> in the car?

>> Yes

> This is less of a problem unless you have your bass turned up real high
> or have a sub-woofer. Lower frequency sounds tend to cause ear damage
> sooner than other frequencies.

Whoa. Back up. Any noise above 85 db can do damage. In the Navy they
told us that highs did the damage but I can't find any medical support
for that.

If you're in doubt, spend the 50 bucks for a sound power meter (Radio
Shack has them), set it to the "C" scale (which has nothing to do with
the musical note "C"--sound power meters generally have two scales, "C"
that is roughly flat with a roll-off below 100 Hz and above 3 KHz, and
"A" that rolls off both ways from around 2 KHz), and if it shows over
85 then do something about it.