Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default OT <--(sorry) Hearing at high frequencies

Cheryl > wrote:

>"gloria.p" > wrote in message

>> Have you attended a lot of rock concerts?

>Yes

>Do you play the radio loudly
>> in the car?

>Yes

>Mow with a gas mower and no ear protection? Use a chain
>> saw?

>Yes, no respectively.

> Lots of loud noise or just aging can affect your high frequency
>> hearing range. You may not be impaired for normal conversation and still
>> not be able to hear high frequency sounds.

>Thanks for the feedback. This is all fascinating mostly because it's new.
>lol I always figured I'd have some hearing loss from the loud music but it
>hasn't manifested until now I guess.

I did not start conscientiously wearing ear protection while at
concerts/clubs until 15 or 17 years ago. So there was like 20
years of concert-going where I typically had no protection.
It was a mistake, but it seems I am okay, so far.

Now, I will wear earplugs at any musical performance unless
the music is simply too quiet to listen to with the earplugs in.
(Which is rare, except for completely unamplified performances,
usually classical.)

Steve