Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default Did I once have a "Chocolate" flavored wine??

"Midlife" > skrev i meddelandet
> We have found that Amarone della Valpolicella (Amarone, for short) has a
> definite chocolate component, although the notes I've seen usually refer

> it as caramel or butterscotch. It's made from dried grapes, so the

flavors
> are highly concentrated and quite sugary. This is an Italian wine which
> should be available at most wine shops (not Super Markets, as a rule).
> Prices seem to run between US$10 (Trader Joe's, for example) and US$40.

Iīd treat an Amarone that cost USD 10 with deep suspicion. I remember
reading (in Decanter, I think) that you couldnīt even produce the juice for
the wine for less than about USD 10. Remember, whole clusters of grapes are
left to dry for about 3 months, leaving about 25 % of the water (if I
remember correctly) ... prices starting about USD 40 is more like it.

And, whatīs more, a good Amarone is _worth_ it.

Cheers!

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se