Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default OT <--(sorry) Hearing at high frequencies

Cheryl > wrote:

> Today I got my new laptop at work and the help desk brought
> it in and said they had to send it back because it was making
> a high-pitched sound that was annoying. I couldn't hear it.
> I asked a couple of others to come listen to my laptop and tell
> me what they heard, and without knowing I couldn't hear it and
> without knowing the help desk was going to send it back, everyone
> said high-pitched sound, maybe hard drive or maybe video.
> More intrigued at why I couldn't hear this, I asked others, and
> some even said it was giving them a headache to hear it. WTF?
> Could there be frequencies some people can't hear that others
> can, similar to how some animals hear frequencies that no human
> can hear? I asked people of different ages and there was only
> one other person about my age who didn't hear anything at all,
> but some close to my age heard it loud and clear. I have never
> had a reason to think my hearing is impaired.

I would recommend making an appointment with audiology for a hearing
test. You can have reduced high-frequency hearing without it
amounting to an impairment, but it's best to get a baseline
so you can track whether any hearing loss is progressing.

Steve