Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler[_3_] Denny Wheeler[_3_] is offline

Default Grilling pork ribs, which sweet and sour rub?

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:47:54 +0200, "ViLco" >
wrote:

>"Dave Bugg" > ha scritto nel messaggio
m...

>>> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, ....snip

>> Since I am American, and have done ribs personally and professionally, I
>> have never used (nor have hear of) a 'sweet and sour' rub. Sweet and sour
>> rub is not a bbq thing, nor is it an American thing. Typical American bbq
>> uses many savory dry herbs and spices, with perhaps a bit of 'sweet' if
>> something like brown sugar is added to the rub. I don't even think I
>> would like a 'sweet and sour rub'; it sounds like it would turn out
>> something akin to some sort of potato chip flavoring.

>I worded it badly, the idea was "a sauce both savoury and sweet". Many
>recipes for ribs that I have seen used sugar in the sauce to put on ribs
>during cooking. That's what I did mean. Thanks for the correction

Vilco, for a future cook, you might try the rub and finishing glaze
here on Danny Gaulden's site.
http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=57
It's somewhat sweet, with the brown sugar, and depending on how much
cayenne you use (I'm a wimp and use about 1/3 the mentioned amount),
can have a nice kick. Definitely is savory.

Hope your cook turned out well.