Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Piedmont Piedmont is offline

Default Grilling pork ribs, which sweet and sour rub?

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:27:30 +0200, ViLco wrote:

> Hi, maybe some of you already know me, I'm Vilco from RFC, and from
> Italy also.
> I'm going to have a cook out with friends this Saturday and I'll be in
> charge for the grill. I'll use charcoal placed about 8-9 inches under
> the griddle, where I'll grill some chicken, some pork sausages and chops
> and some pork ribs.
> The fire-pit will be exactly this one, I'll be running two since we're a
> dozen friends:
> http://www.tinysites.com/SitesPublic...ajmahal115006/

PublishPC/~Index.xml/Photos/Pix1.htm?r=6215667

> The ribs look like these and I'm sure many of you have cooked tons of
> them. Whole rack, raw:
> http://img75.imageshack.us/i/dscn4300vx7.jpg/ Some spare ones, cooked:
> http://www.buttalapasta.it/wp-galler...iale-barbecue/

costine-di-maiale-al-babrbecue.jpg

> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, I use to
> marinate them in red sparkling wine and garlic overnight and then, when
> the day comes, grill them with some rosemary and freshly ground pepper,
> and salt near the end of the cooking time.
>
> This saturday I'll grill a batch of pork ribs in my usual way and wanted
> to make a second batch in a sweet and sour rub as I have seen (or read
> about) many times over many NG's, including this one. Googling around I
> have found tons of recipes for rubs, very different one another, and
> since I'm new to this kind of rubs I ask if someone here on AFB can
> point me to some true and tested recipes.
> Thanks!

Vilco,

I'm not sure what a sweet and sour rub would be but in my family we
typically have used a blend of Garlic and Onion Powders, Ground Black
Pepper, Salt, Ground Red Cayenne Pepper, which I put in a base of Paprika.

You could easily add a white or brown sugar to it if you wanted sweet but
I never do.

Here's my recipe,
2 tbs. paprika
2 tbs. salt
2 tbs. garlic powder
2 tbs. onion powder
1 tbs. ground red pepper, cayenne
1 tbs. black pepper

This is a ketchup based bbq sauce for serving on the side,

3 cups ketchup
1 cup honey (you can substitute with sugar but probably would need to up
water a bit)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup onion, mince fine
1/2 cup green pepper, mince fine
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar, white
2 tablespoons garlic powder

Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy pot, bring to a boil. Reduce to
a simmer until onion & pepper are tender.

--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/