Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wok - electric vs stovetop

J. wrote on Tue, 01 Jun 2010 14:14:42 -0400:

> On 6/1/2010 10:20 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>> brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Thermostat cycling is different from recovery time.

>> Not really sure what you mean, but the electric wok I have
>> gets good and hot for a bit, and then suddenly the thermostat
>> just switches off the heating element and the temperature
>> drops rapidly - then (when it feels like it) it kicks in
>> again. It's done that since I took it out of the box, so it's
>> not "old age" or something - and my MIL had a different brand
>> and hers did the exact same thing.
>>
>> Probably does this because the element would "burn out" or
>> some such if it stayed on at such high heat any longer - but it's
>> highly inconvenient, if you ask me. If I need a wok to
>> be very hot for a specific amount of time, I want it to stay that way
>> until *I* turn down (or take it off) the heat
>> myself... That's why I'm gonna buy a wok that can be used on a gas
>> burner next time round.

I don't particularly like gas cooking and the glass top of my stove
retains heat rather well even if it does switch on and off. Do you know
if there is such a thing as an electric wok with fast temperature
changes. I don't really find the inability to sear in mine to be a big
limitation and anyway, I usually use a skillet on the stove and could
switch between rings.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland