Posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default Wok - electric vs stovetop

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Thermostat cycling is different from recovery time.

Not really sure what you mean, but the electric wok I have gets good and
hot for a bit, and then suddenly the thermostat just switches off the
heating element and the temperature drops rapidly - then (when it feels
like it) it kicks in again. It's done that since I took it out of the
box, so it's not "old age" or something - and my MIL had a different
brand and hers did the exact same thing.

Probably does this because the element would "burn out" or some such if
it stayed on at such high heat any longer - but it's highly
inconvenient, if you ask me. If I need a wok to be very hot for a
specific amount of time, I want it to stay that way until *I* turn down
(or take it off) the heat myself... That's why I'm gonna buy a wok that
can be used on a gas burner next time round.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy