Posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default Wok - electric vs stovetop

notbob wrote:

> On 2010-05-31, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> I have one of those stand-alone electric woks - a Kenwood, which IIRC
>> is made in the USA.

> UK

I stand corrected.

Did some googling and it appears that the USA tentacle of this [alleged]
world-wide corporation only manufactures electronic equipment, car
sound and other related stuff" in the USA. All together now, can we
say "doof-doof-doof"?

>> The heat therefrom goes up to "more than hot enough" -
>> but it is not "constant" heat as the thermostat keeps kicking in and
>> out, so the heat varies.

> This is cuz most plug-in appliances are limited to about 1500W of
> power. This due to the 15 amp limit of 110V plugs (in the US). This
> is why I always crack up when space and electric heater manufacturers
> make all these insane claims about how THEIR heaters will work/heat
> better than others cuz they put out more heat yada yada... Fifteen
> hundred watts is fifteen hundred watts MAXIMUM. Add a fan and you
> have to decrease the heater element output. Fifteen hundred watts
> MAX! Same with mixers, crockpots, woks, microwaves, etc.

That's why I prefer my <whispering> Le Creuset cast iron Dutch oven to
any of these electric slow cooker do-dads any day... Heck, I also have
a (made in South Africa, no less) three-legged cast iron "potjie pot"
(for out-door use) which knocks spots off any one of those new
fancy-fan-dangled electric crockpot thingies. IMHO, of course.

However, I *do* like my (vintage) Moulinex(r) stand blender, and my
Philips electric mixer (that has a stick-blender-thingy attachment)
tho'. Sosueme. Well, mebbe not really *sue* me per se, but
yaknowwhatimean. I hope.<laugh>

BTW, when I'm in a save-electricity-mode, especially when we have one of
our numerous power failures, I always have my manually operated
food-processor a.k.a. a "Twista". <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy