Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve B[_12_] Steve B[_12_] is offline

Default Wok - electric vs stovetop

"Steve" > wrote in message
>I have an electric stove, wondering if I'd be just as well off with an
> electric wok rather than a stovetop model. Are the wattages high
> enough on electric woks?

I have found that neither are any good. I use my electric wok to steam
fish. Put them in on a wire round rack, and they steam nicely.

But there is just not enough heat to wok ANYTHING. For that, I have a back
yard burner, one of those round ones, that has the burner that looks like a
hot water heater burner on it, and that gets it hot enough for my taste.

They showed a cooking show the other night, and it had to do with woks in
Chinese restaurants. They were all special burner configuration, and the
BTU ratings were very high. Won't say, as I do not remember exactly, but
200k comes to mind .......

About the only thing that is nearly acceptable is a gas stove with a large
burner and a large wok ring. And propane would be the hottest.

Steve