Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Wok - electric vs stovetop

On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:18:25 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> On 5/30/2010 2:08 PM, Steve wrote:
> > I have an electric stove, wondering if I'd be just as well off with an
> > electric wok rather than a stovetop model. Are the wattages high
> > enough on electric woks?

> I've used a regular wok and a fire ring on an electric stove with no
> problem. Since I like to cook at high heat, I wasn't expecting it to
> work but it did. Just make sure your burner gets pretty hot and you do
> your frying in parts.

I've cooked on both using the same wok and was surprised to find that
the ring is also necessary on gas to keep heat focused at the wok.
Crowding is also a problem, so the size of the wok makes a big
difference. The smaller the wok, the more likely it is you'll have
to cook whatever it is in stages.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.