Posted to rec.food.cooking
orpheus99 orpheus99 is offline

Default Wok - electric vs stovetop

Steve wrote:
> I have an electric stove, wondering if I'd be just as well off with an
> electric wok rather than a stovetop model. Are the wattages high
> enough on electric woks?

Two of the most important criteria for wok cooking are
instant, very high heat
instant low heat
You can't get either of these with electric anything! Not electric stove
nor electric wok. Besides which, you don't really want a flat bottomed
wok anyway! That defeats the very idea of wok cookery, and was only
developed to satisfy electric stove users.

For wok cooking, invest a few dollars in a single propane gas burner.
You can find the table-top models that use propane cartridges in most
Asian markets, and a 3-pack of cartridges to go with it for under $25.
Use two settings; full blast and simmer.

--
Orpheus99

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. Musicians paint their pictures on
silence." ~Leopold Stokowski