Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Salt.....the industry and food manufacturers are pushing backagainst the "lower the salt" forces.

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>I do eat a low salt diet, and yet there are
>products (mostly at Trader Joe's) that are distinctly
>undersalted. Their chicken broth concentrate and
>the recently introduced Puff Pastry Margherita Pizza,
>to name two. I am adapted to a low salt diet, and
>yet I can tell these products cry out for more salt.

I'll have to look at the labeling for these next time
I'm at a TJ's.

How salty a broth should be depends on usage, but
for the pizza pastry it's pretty objective... if it's
not under a milligram of sodium per calorie, it
isn't undersalted. If it is, it might be undersalted.

The TJ's Italian pizzas are about 2 mg / calorie.
Definitely not undersalted.

Steve